June 2 - 9, 2017
A Praxis Retreat and Study Tour
Models for a Sustainable Future: Culture, Climate, and Economics
Click Here to Register!
Dubrovnik is one of the world's most unique and magical places. Once a thriving city-state, it is steeped in history, beauty and a legacy of peace. Situated at the southern tip of Croatia on the turquoise waters of the Adriatic Sea, Dubrovnik is the perfect place for reflection, creative thinking and making out-of-the-box plans for helping to achieve a sustainable world.
Please note the name change. Since Croatia is not home to many cooperatives, we are saving that study for the Mondragón seminar, which will be held June 17 - 24, 2017. Instead, we will focus on the economic links to climate and culture. Suggested reading (though NOT required) is Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: The Climate vs Capitalism.
- Climate - An update on the science, campaigns, and leadership for both navigating the fallout from climate change and for changing the course of detrimental plans that are negatively impacting people and planet. We will examine the issues in context -- from local concerns to international trade agreements, from citizen activism to political change.
- Culture - What is the context for systemic change? How does culture influence outcomes, and how can culture be influenced to nurture a sustainable future? We will examine the media, social media, and the arts as they influence and reflect cultural movements. What are cultural interventions to counteract the power of propaganda?
- Economics - Tying together solutions to the climate crisis and the influences of culture to their economic underpinings informs the steps that need to be taken in order to enable a sustainable future. The suggested text for this conference (though certainly NOT required) is Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: The Climate vs. Capitalism.
* Historical overview of the Dubrovnik city-state and surrounding region.
This conference will have fewer speakers and more discussions and the generation of ideas and action campaigns. Being in a pristine environment for one whole week provides an ideal context for creative thinking as well as deep relaxation. Breaks and excursions are built into the plan.
The conference hotel is a few miles south of Dubrovnik and is the perfect venue for our meeting. Amenities include the hotel beach on the Adriatic Sea, indoor and outdoor pools, restaurants and cafes, and a Wellness Center with massage and healing therapies available. Each room has a furnished balcony facing the azure Adriatic Sea.
- The Old Town of Dubrovnik - spend a day and evening within this remarkable walled city. Options: walk on the walls overlooking the city and sea; visit museums, galleries, the Rector's Palace (once the seat of government); enjoy a concert in the atrium of the Rector's Palace; shop at the farmer's market and much more.
- Visit nearby islands and the lush Konavle Valley, where much of Dubrovnik's food is grown.
- Visits to Montenegro, the island of Korcula, and other Balkan destinations can be included or added before or after the conference. Some participants may wish to join a small group that will spend a few days in Zagreb, Croatia's capital, for a few days prior to the conferece.
Prices: (based on current euro/dollar exchange rates and could vary slightly.)
Single Room for 7 nights, includes daily breakfast buffet, 4 dinners at the hotel, conference fee, and excursions - $3,350.
Double Room for 7 nights, includes daily breakfast buffet, 4 dinners at the hotel, conference fee, and excursions - $2,850.
Save $100 by paying both deposit and balance by check!
A Deposit of $700 will hold your place.
Airfare is not inluded.
To Register. - Click Here to Register!
Before February 2, 2017 - Full Refund minus $100 processing fee.
Between February 2 and March 2, 2017 - 70% Refund minus $150 processing fee.
Between March 3 and April 2, 2017 - 50% refund minus $150 processing fee.
After April 2, 2017 - No Refund
We encourage all participants to buy travel insurance, so if there is any last-minute change of plans you are not stuck with the costs. We usually recommend Travel Guard - www.travelguard.com